Thursday, July 3, 2008

An Urban Garden

Here's a link to Dr. Soozee's urban garden - check it out! Everything's growing so fast, you can almost hear it. I've seen stuff in her garden double in size in one 24 hour period - how's that for growing.

Some pretty tasty stuff is coming out of that garden. I know - I'm tasting it! Sorrel, spinach, lambs quarters, a local variety of amaranth (aka "pig weed"), pea greens, onions, chives, mesclun (lettuce mix), mustard greens, radish greens, kale and cabbage greens, rhubarb, asparagus, chive blossoms, garlic tops.

Yes, pig weed and lambs quarters are quite edible. I know, I know, you've thought all along they are just weeds. As young leaves, they are great tossed into a green salad. As the leaves mature, try them sauteed or braised. Here's a recipe or two (and some new blogs and websites to check out).

3 comments:

Codadiva said...

AWESOME! I was in awe when I saw those pictures at the meeting. You've inspired me to start a blog and my very first post, I linked the UGG!

www.livinginmanitowoc.wordpress.com

See you soon!

Codadiva said...

This is so awesome. I was really inspired after seeing the garden. I even made a new blog and highlighted UGG in my first post!

www.livinginmanitowoc.wordpress.com

Maria Birch said...

Hey codadiva,

AWESOME! back atcha. You inspire us! Absolutely love your blog and you're linked here.

Maria